Although they were found in a Columbia apartment complex, the co-owner of All Things Wild says they can live anywhere.

COLUMBIA, SC – News 19 spoke to a local pest control company about the process of bats removal and the dangers they could pose after a Columbian mother left home because bats came inside.

“I would say it was a good size colony,” said Scott Smith, co-owner of All Things Wild. “It’s hard to put a number on it, maybe between 40 and 100, but it was more than 20 because that wall was pretty much alive.”

Everything wild is currently removing bats found in the Dionne Wilkes apartment complex. We spoke to Wilkes on Monday and she describes the ordeal of living with bats.

“I have a son,” said Wilkes. “I’m trying to give him a decent place to live. Right now, I feel like I’m not doing this for him and it’s not fair.”

We associate bats with life in caves or hollow trees, but Smith says that is not necessarily the case. Although found in an apartment complex, Smith says they can live anywhere. Bats find small spaces in buildings and crawl through them to find their home.

CONNECTED: The Columbia woman’s apartment is infested with bats

“You made the house; you are not lost,” explained Smith. “They found a place to escape the weather and they won’t go quietly.

Smith says bats will continue to return to their newly made homes if not properly removed. Removal begins by inspecting the building’s entry points and placing a device over them before sealing the building.

“We can’t kill them, we don’t harm them, but we’re building a bat valve or various devices to overlay their entry point,” said Smith. “It works as a one-way door; it lets you out, then you can get back in. Can you go to the building across the street; yes, you can, and usually you will, because you can see what the house looks like. “

The wildlife and pest control co-owner encourages people not to remove the bats themselves. Rabies and lung diseases can be a problem if residents don’t treat them right away.

“They won’t attack you like you see in the movies, but the guano is a hazard,” explained Smith. “If you stir around the attic and inhale the particles, it can lead to a pretty serious infection.”

CONNECTED: Rabid bat, skunk in two Midlands counties




Go to Original Source